Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Leaving the nest

How do I explain this?

You're about to be in the same position I was in, 5 years ago.
It's not fair, I know. For this responsibility to fall on your shoulders. I didn't mean for this to happen, but I don't have control over what other people do. I only know that I made it work, and so can you.

You have so many advantages that I didn't have. There will be people by your side. Not as many as I had planned or had hoped. But there will be some.

I didn't have anyone. But I had experience. And I cared. And I enjoyed it, even while I complained. You care. And I've given you as much experience as I could. You'll have about as much as I did back then. But there's only so much I can do. I can't give you years.

If there's anything I can do for you while I still can, I will. And I know the rest of us will do the same. You'll be fine. It won't be the same after we all leave, but you'll survive. The team will survive.

And that's the last thing I can't give you. That confidence. You'll find it yourself, in time, after we leave. You might flounder for a while but then you'll realize you got this. You know what to do. You have the resources, and the intuition, and the experience. I have faith in you - the faith of a teacher who taught you everything that you know and knows it'll be enough. You won't believe it if I say it now, but you'll be okay. Your students are in good hands.

I'm sorry you'll be more alone in this than I had hoped. But I know you'll find you're stronger than you think. And I hope it will bring you joy, like it did for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey stalkers - if you don't have a blogspot/google account, please leave your name so I can get back to you, or just email me.