Weekend mornings waking you up,
When I was little,
By crawling into bed with you and Mom.
You'd complain about how cold my feet were
and tickle me.
And I would stand up on your back,
And give you a massage with my feet.
Late at night on long car trips,
You talk to me about old poetry;
You show me how the words fit together,
How each one has a story,
Layers of meaning, like a secret,
Passed on through the generations.
但愿人长久,千里共婵娟。
Unfold the DDR mat after dinner,
And you challenge Mom to a dance-off.
My sisters laugh and sit on the couch
Watching our parents jump around
To Mario songs.
And you look back, unembarrassed,
Teaching us not to be afraid to laugh at ourselves.
Resting on the couch, or eating dinner,
Or washing dishes,
The TV is on to CCTV - the only thing you ever watch.
You'll talk to me about what you saw.
We'll say "One day, we'll explore the Chinese countryside,
And eat all of the strangest foods,
Just the two of us."
You tell me you believe in me,
You believe in me more than anyone else,
"How hard will you work for what you want?" you ask.
"Do what you love, and
be the best at whatever you choose to do.
Hairdresser or teacher or doctor,
You can be the best."
One day I will be the best, Daddy,
Because you told me I could be.
One day I'll buy you a jade bracelet like Mom's,
And that long, flat car that I promised
When I was little.
But today, I know the best present I can give you
Is to say I love you, and make you proud of me.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Hey stalkers - if you don't have a blogspot/google account, please leave your name so I can get back to you, or just email me.