Friday, November 2, 2012

Promises

When I say I never
Should have made that promise to you
I don't mean
I never should have loved you
Because I did.
And I don't mean
I regret everything that we did
Because I don't.
I simply mean
It wasn't a promise that I could keep
Not something I could guarantee
And so I never should have made that promise
Because what is the point of a promise that isn't kept?
And so I'm sorry I made that promise,
Because I broke it.

And when I say I'm not going to make a promise like that again
I don't mean I'll never commit again
Though now I'm more wary
Even scared
But rather I've learned
Just how presumptuous I've been
Thinking I can control my life like that
Or
How people change
Or
Knowing exactly who I am.

So it's not your fault.
It's not anything that you did.
And there's nothing you can do.
I don't want you to change for me.
If you change, let it be for yourself.
And it's not that I've changed,
Though maybe I have.

No.

I hope you'll realize this eventually,
We've been falling
With no bang and no smoke
Just quietly
Out of love.
And if I hadn't known that you were feeling it, too
I would never have done it,
Because I hate hurting you.
But you deserve someone who is in love with you.

And so do I.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey stalkers - if you don't have a blogspot/google account, please leave your name so I can get back to you, or just email me.